Friday, November 4, 2011

ONE MONTH AT AMAZON

I have now worked a full month here at Amazon.com and all I can say is: I SURVIVED!!-So far….
This past week has been a true test on all of us-both seasonal workers and the permanent workers that work all year there. 

Just like anywhere you go-rumors fly around: some being true-some stretching the truth.   This week it’s been hard to filter out all the rumors going on.  One thing is for sure in Plant D the tension has been extremely high making it a difficult place to work almost in perfect harmony.

It all started out on Sunday when 1st break rolled around and we all were asked who wanted to take VTO (voluntary time off).  As it is, Sundays are what we call lull days; when hardly anyone is there.  I kind of liked Sundays because not too many bodies running around.  Anyways, a few took the VTO while us die-hard turned it down (like me) and continue to work.  Once again after lunch, during Stand-up exercise/announcements VTO was asked.  Again a few more left.  At 1:30pm we all were told to clock out and go home at 2pm and not to come in until 8am on Monday.

Needless to say I was actually disappointed about not receiving my full 40 hours of work this week. with it only being the beginning-what would the remaining of the week bring?

Come Monday they came around this time asking if anyone wanted to take VTO on Tuesday or Wednesday or both days!  Again my answer was NO!  Gosh darn it, I was hired to work, work and work.  I was looking forward to the extra money to fuel our motorhome this summer and finally not having to not work a summer!  Now I’m to the point that I’m really worried about job security here at Amazon.com-specially with the holidays coming up.  Also on Monday I was moved around to 3 different Prep areas (normally called Prep Cells).

Here is where rumors start. The full-time workers are blaming us seasonal workers.  They say we are coming in and taking over their job where they don’t get their time in.  Rumor is that in receiving-there will be no overtime and with them constantly bringing in more workers, they won’t be enough work for everyone. Another rumor is because of several other new fulfillment centers opening-all the products are being sent there and not to us.

  One guy that was normally in stowe (putting items in proper areas after we receive them) was brought into help with prep.  The women in that area treated him rough-so he went home (note: it was his last day as he was moving on).  Another lady was brought over from outbound due to an injury and was placed on light duty until further notice.  They have her biting bullets and she too is close to quiting.  Only thing keeping her is she knows it’s temporary and she will be back in outbound soon.  Another lady who has been in prep since the beginning-the regulars had her crying.  So the morals of the plant isn’t very good right now.

On Tuesday I jumped from receiving to prepping back to receiving; which at times a few of us stood around waiting for product to come down the line.  We all held our breath as to if we were going to be sent home….

After lunch on Tuesday I finally went to one of our person in charge and said that I really don’t want any time off and if there was maybe an area that I could move to where I wouldn’t be asked day-to-day to take VTO.  She said that there were 5 people gong to picking (where we have to locate a purchase item and send it to outbound to be package).  I asked her if I could be one of those 5 and she told me I already was. 

Now I’m excited because again rumors are that there are no VTO in picking and they will work longer.  Plus I will now get the walking that I so much miss.

Wednesday morning I’m pumped up and ready for a new adventure.  As promise my name along with 4 others (one of which I have worked with) are up on the board to report to picking school at 7:45.  Until then we go to receiving line until it’s time.  We are all there ready to go.  We get signed in and pick up a scanner just to be told: “not going to happen this week”….our mouths dropped and we asked what was going on.  They claim miscommunication.  They also claim that they are not going to train 5 when they just asked 40 to VTO and they got more Seasonal Workampers coming in on Thursday for picking school! 

At this point I’m really, really frustrated and was just about to go ahead and take VTO-go home and weigh my options here at amazon.  We were assured that we would be back to picking school next week.  But at this point I hold nothing to face value-because there is no guarantee what next week will bring.

The Big shots (as I call them), are gearing up for black out.  This next Wednesday they are having a black out parade inside the plant, then everyone in the plant will meet in D section for a “party”.  It’s hard to be in the mood when tensions are high right now.  They also stated that work will start picking up and be more steady…

I was sent back to receiving and was told I would stay there until maybe next week…I guess only time will tell what will happen.  As down as I felt I really didn’t care if my percentage was up or down.  Surprising enough-my percentage was over hundred percent and work was constant.
After talking with some of the other workers, I soon learned that others have asked to be transfer to picking and they were not chosen….So now I’m curious as to what the new week and this next month will bring here at Amazon.com.

Yes, I’m going to stick it out.  I really do like working here, I just don’t like the uncertainty it’s bringing.  Many of us seasonal workers come a long way to work and not to be left dangling on a string from day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment