Sunday, July 24, 2011

SCAMS-BEWARE!!

Over the years and I got more and more comfortable with the usage of the computer and surfing the Internet the braver I got.  One day I got brave enough to purchased Brian a scooter.   Being a little nervous in doing this, I prayed all would turn out.  I had folks telling me that they order all the time via the internet and that it was safe.
It was safe and I learned to do more via the Internet.  We soon purchased more items over the internet and even started to pay some bills the same way.  Sometimes I do get skeptical, not knowing if what I ordered would cause me future problems like receiving spam mail, getting hacked, or would they steal my credit card?
We did get Brian’s credit card number stolen.  This was with a doctor’s office that we paid via internet-the person got caught and no damage was done other than Brian had to be issued a new credit card.
But never stopped us from continuing with our purchases or paying bills still via the Internet.  Now when it comes to software's, well I have purchased software's and had the disc mailed to me.  But never have I bought a software that I would download-until recently.  With my new computer I needed the new Microsoft Words, the “old” one that I have is now considered obsolete and no longer can get a validated.
So surfing the Internet, I thought I was at a reputable company.  They were by far cheaper than anywhere else.  So I purchased the download version.  It was agreed that it could take up to 24 hours for me to receive the download and the Product Key code, but also states it usually only take 5-6 hours.
5 hours turned into 8, turning into 12 ended up almost 24 hours later when I received the email with the download and the key number.  Because it’s such a large download and I have a slow connection, I needed to get to a faster connection.  Off to the nearest WI-fi and spent well over an hour to download the software.  Now it’s time to put in the product key-and ooops-I can’t!  It states that it’s the product key to that download.  I also soon learned that what I thought was Microsoft web page was not, but a software company out of Shanghai!
Another 24 hours laps with another email sent off with them emailing me yet another download and product key.  Here we go again back to the truck stop to download again.  This time the Product Key is accepted.  But now I have less than 30 days to register it or it will quit working.  So upon registering it-I'm unable.  After contacting Microsoft about this issue I soon learn that the product is locked up and cannot be accessed!
Guess what?  Yep I just got scammed!!!  Another email sent off-this time a very nasty email.  Now it’s time to take serious action.  They have my money and I have a worthless product.  Thank Goodness for a great bank.  Brian got with our bank immediately and they have scam hotline.  We got our money back in full from the bank and now they are going after the company.  they also got the Better Business Bureau involved. 
Lesson learned-I will never again buy a software that has to be downloaded. I will pay the extra few dollars and purchase this product at the store or have the disc mailed to me.
With all this said, I don’t want to discourage anyone from purchasing via the Internet, because I still will continue to do that. Here are one or two helpful tips when ordering on the internet:
  • When I’m ready to order and putting in my information, I always make sure the web page I’m on is secured.
  • After I have purchased an item on the internet, you should always receive an email with your purchase order and verification number and/or a reference number
  • I always check my bank account/credit card account (via internet) to make sure the right amount was taken out and nothing more.  I continue to watch it until the item I have purchased is in my hands.
  • You should receive another email with a tracking number on the shipping order-that way you can monitor where it’s at and when it should arrive to you.
My lesson in all of this, is that I will research to make sure I’m buying here in the US and not in another foreign country.

No comments:

Post a Comment