Saturday, April 2, 2011

50, FIFTY

50, what does it mean? 
It means it’s half of century.  So when looking at it that way-it’s kind of scary if a person is turning 50 years old.  Brian turns that big 5-0 this week; which means I soon will follow next year.
Each phases of our life we pass a mile stone:
  • age 5-starting school
  • at 13-becoming a teenager
  • age 16-getting a driver’s license
  • age 18-becoming an adult
  • age 21-being able to legally drink
When I was about to turn 30 someone told me that you will feel it when you reach that mile stone in your life.  They told me that reaching 30 means you are finally growing up and being more mature and you think more wisely…I’m not sure if that was really true on  my part. 
If growing up and becoming mature at the age of 30, then what happens when you turn 50?  You’re not considered an antique, because you should of become that at 25, right?  Does your hair turn grey at 50 or does it fall out by then?  This isn’t true for Brian, for he was already grey before that, and loosing some of his hair!  Which he blames on me (in a joking way-of course).  Do you consider yourself old enough to finally become grandparents at age 50?  Again, that doesn’t work for us-for we are already grandparents of 4 with the oldest being 11 years old!
So, what does turning 50 really mean to some?  Brian tells me it’s just another day for him.  Some folks want a big bang party to commemorate that day.  Myself, I’m like Brian-it’s just another day in life for me.  We enjoy living a  simple and quiet  lifestyle.
What happens to the next 50 years of our life?  Will  we even live that long?  If  I live to be a 100 years old, I hope I’m still in my right frame of mind to where I can put a few grey hair on our kids, give them a scare or two in their lives, I can be worry free while they finally sit and fret about me! And If not,  it was and is God’s will what will happen.  Now Brian thinks that for sure by the time I reach 60, I will be senile; Well if that’s the case,  then I can torture him first!
But for now allow us to live each day the way we want to live-free as a bird doing what we love to do-traveling!  I don’t know what tomorrow will even bring, let alone, 5 years, 10 years or even 50 years from now.
Tim McGraw (country singer) has a song out called: “Live Like You’re Dying” ;  a good song that he wrote when his dad was diagnosed and died of cancer.  In the song it talks about riding a bull, skydiving and living like no tomorrow.  I don’t think that I’m ready to ride a bull or go skydiving, but I’m learning to laugh more, live freely, and enjoy life as it is.

DSC01438    DSC01436
On of the things we love to do is go adventuring and trying new things: like climbing mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment