Monday, April 11, 2011

SHOES & FEET

Growing up in my childhood I had several pair of shoes.  One pair was for school only, Two pair for Sunday church; a white shiny pair for spring and summer and a black shiny pair for fall and winter, Then I had my play shoes for outdoors.
As I grew up and had kids of my own, I couldn’t afford to buy shoes all the time.  Once I broke in a pair, I wore them to death-literally.  I’m still that way.  I don’t like to change shoes once I get a pair broke into.  One thing I have very small feet, so finding just the right shoes that fit my feet comfortably can become a challenge.
DSC01981 My Small feet….
I loved my Dr. Scholl’s that I was able to buy just at Wal-Mart but I guess demands for size 5 wasn’t a priority to Wal-Mart and/or Dr. Scholl's, so they have discontinue my shoes size!  So it was back to the basic tennis shoes in the kids department, only problem is that I walk so much that I would wear a pair out in a months time!
Knowing that we would be done working for the Corps of Engineer and that we would be doing a lot of traveling and hiking to unknown areas.  Brian and I decided that maybe we need a much more sturdy pair of shoes.  So we went on a search for Hikers.  For Brian that wasn’t hard to find, but for me, again because of my shoe size, I really have to search around.
We found our one pair at a local retailer in Mountain Home, AR.  They were comfortable, sturdy and I didn’t wear them out a months time.  In fact 8 months later and they still holding up; even after climbing mountain sides, walking on uneven terrain they still look pretty darn good.
But now comes a problem again….Because   of walking so much on uneven terrain I have developed pressure points on the bottom  side of both of my feet.  When they first started, I just ignored them, thinking eventually they will become a hard callus.  Well this time my thinking didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to.  the pressure points just keep getting sorer and sorer to the point of burning and severely hurting.         
Brian and I did find another pair of hikers over the winter and we did buy a second pair each to keep on hand.  So we broke out the new pair for my tiny feet.  They seem to fit just a bit better than my old hikers and thinking this would solve my problem.  It didn’t…      
So now it’s time to try that machine for Dr. Scholl’s for special inserts.  After doing the “test” twice and finding the “right” insert for my feet, we spent the $50.00 on the inserts.  Wow, it does make a difference in walking that is for sure.  It makes me feel like it’s pushing my arch more upwards.  It has releived the pain on the pressure points on my right foot, but no relief what-so-ever on the left one.       
DSC01980      My new inserts from Dr. Scholl’s
So now it’s back to a shoe store to find a pair of just walking tennis shoes.  It seems to help, but the inserts “raise” me up and effects the back part of my heal.  So will try them without the inserts and keep the inserts for my hiker; for whenever I get back to hiking again.  But for now I can’t walk for a few days until the pressure points heal somewhat.   So no adventures for while for me….
After talking with Brian’s mom over the weekend, she recommended an old remedy of soaking my feet in ebson salt and warm water.  So why not try the old trick?  At this point I will try anything, because if the pressure points don’t get better, my next stop is to a podiatrist and I already know that means lots of money going out for special shoes and anything else….besides-I HATE DOCTORS!!                                       
Just think, we have one daughter that I believe she owns over 50 pairs of shoes!!!   And I’m struggling to find just one pair to fit me comfortably-until death do us part.
 DSC01979 ALL the shoes I now own…Which ones to where today?

No comments:

Post a Comment