Tuesday, May 31, 2011

THE FIRST WEEK

The park was getting ready to start off the holiday weekend, and already was short handed at the gate house.  Although I have been hired on as the new Gate Attendant, paper work still has to be done so that I can get paid.  So until it’s all said and done, I’m still considered a volunteer.  The rangers thought it would be a good time to start training me for the position.
So on Friday Brian and I started working the gate house in the evenings.  Our first night was very busy and hectic-being it was the kick-off for the holiday weekend and to the summer.
I was assigned what is called a shift box which has my starting money and all the passes that they sell for the Colorado State Parks.
Talk about being thrown into the mix of it all during one of their most busiest time!  It was just a bit over whelming at first.  They have different passes that they sell that you have to learn what is for what.  You have your regular day-pass, then the Annual Pass, then Colorado residents that are 64 and over have a choice of the Aspen Leaf Pass; which gives them a discount.  And if that’s not enough then have a Lifetime Aspen Leaf Pass that can be purchase.  AND they have different types of Multiple Passes for customers with other vehicles.  If a customer comes in towing a vehicle, they have a pass for that as well.  Wow!  I think there is about 10 or more different passes to learn and not to get them mixed up or confused can be challenging to a newcomer-like me.
Besides all the  types of passes that we sell, we also do fishing and hunting licenses.  We also can register OHV, snowmobiles & boats!  I haven’t had to those yet, but have learned how to do fishing license.  Then there is  firewood to sell-which has to be kept separate from the rest of the money-and that can be a challenge!
We don’t do reservations here at the park, that has to be done either Toll Free or Internet=thank goodness!!
by the end of the night we both were exhausted.  Once we close the window, we still were not done.  Now it’s time to account for all the passes that were sold, fishing license sold, and campsites sold.  All came up as it should-except for some unknown reason I came up with an extra $25.00 ahead.  Not sure what happen.  It’s hard to say when there was several people with their hands in the till.
My second night, was requested by the ranger training me that Brian didn’t come in-she said it was too hard on her to train the both of us and since I’m the one actually going to be hired, it was decided that he should not help out.  We did feel for her, for the both of us bombarded her with lots of questions.  Oh and the ranger that was training me, has been in the maintenance field for 3 years, and this is actually her first year, first month as a ranger.  So we totally understand that she to was overwhelmed.
The second and third night went smoothly with everything check and balancing the way it should at the end of the night.  Brian did work in the office-cleaning on the third night.  I even have learned most of the passes and what they are for.  The downfall is some of the passes will be changing out the 1st of July as prices are being change.
The park rangers have been really great and very helpful.  They are not afraid to chip in when it gets busy.  They are there if there is any kind of problems.  It is mandatory here that whenever there is a Gate Attendant on duty, at least one ranger also has to be present within the park.
With my upcoming foot surgery, they are so willing to work with me so that I do what the doctor orders.  You don’t find that kind of support in any work place.  I think Brian and I are going to enjoy working the summer here at the James M. Robb Colorado River State Park-Island Acres.

No comments:

Post a Comment