Tuesday, May 3, 2011

ZION NATIONAL PARK-AFTER ONE WEEK

We have been here now for one week and we have decided to spend our full 14 days here at Zion.  There is just so much to hike and if you are an avid hiker like Brian and I, then this is the one place to be.
Unfortunately, we had to take a couple of days off  from hiking.  While doing one of our most simpler hikes, I forgot that I was no longer a spring chicken and “jumped” off a rock, causing injury to my right foot.  When I stepped down I felt a pain on the top side, but thought nothing of it, continue on and did other small walks throughout the day. 
Later that same evening (Saturday) after taking my shoe off and then putting it back on, I had some pain and swelling.  Then I notice a bump on the top side that was painful to the touch.  So time to slow down and take it easy.
The next morning (Sunday) I could get my shoe on, with some minor pain; we took Leah for her morning stroll, while trying to side-step and avoid getting run over by bikers on the Pa’rus Trail, I then got sharp pain and the swelling was getting worse.
Now it was time to find an urgent care clinic to get the foot ex-rayed.  We thought for sure it was fractured.  The nearest clinic that was even open on a Sunday was all the way back in ST. George-41 miles away.  Driving was a little painful, since it was the right foot.  But I got there.
After several ex-rays, it was determined that it wasn’t broken or fractured, but instead I have pulled the tendons completely out of whack.  I could continue with my hikes, if I wore this huge boot.  Brian looked at the bottom, and we both knew there would be no way a person could hike with that kind of “sole” on the boot.  The boot was also going to cost nearly $200.00.  I know I could put that kind of money elsewhere.  We opted against the boot and that I would just take it easy for now.
Never did the doctor mention of icing it or elevating it, nothing…So after getting home and doing some research on my own, I have wrapped it, and since doing it, it has pulled the tendons back in place.  So for now I will keep it wrapped tightly until it is healed. 
Yesterday I spent some time walking on level ground and had no pain or swelling, so maybe now I can get back to my hiking.  I am determined to do Angels Landing, the most dangerous hike of them all here at Zion….

No comments:

Post a Comment