Tuesday, January 31, 2012

COOKING OVER A CAMPFIRE

One of the things I enjoy doing when ever I have the chance, is cooking over a campfire.  We purposely don’t own a gas grill, charcoal grill or any other kinds of grills-including the George Foreman one.  Why?  Why should we when we can enjoy a much better meal cooking of wood.

First thing first, you must get the right consisting's of charcoal base from your firewood.   Once you have that, then it’s time to wash, poke and foil your potatoes.  Now to get those potatoes into the fire, without burning yourself.  We have a fireplace wood grabber to help us out.  Now let the cooking begin!

DSC06035

Notice that I have the potatoes next to the fire-not in the fire.  I want my potatoes cooked, not burnt so I’m care where I place them.  I leave them in this position for about 10-15 minutes.  Then I slowly back them a little farther yet from the fire.

DSC06039

I find a piece of hot wood and place it for a spell on the potatoes.  I do rotate the potatoes every 15 minutes or so, as not to burn them.

Once I know the potatoes are near to done, then it’s time for the meat!  We use a basket that we purchased a few years back at Wal-Mart and works great for cooking over a campfire.

DSC06040

I do cheat a little and place a rock on the handle-so that I don’t have to stay there holding it the whole time.  I make sure I don’t have a real high flaming fire going at this time, because again I want my meat cooked to a perfection-not burnt.  Sometimes I might have to rearrange very carefully my firewood under the basket.  If one area isn’t get enough or maybe too much.

DSC06042

Now there’s a meal fit for a King or Queen!  Yeah we did cheat a little.  The carrots were cooked over a camp stove that we use outdoors a lot while boondocking.  The meal was excellent!

When we downsized to our small little unit, we gave way to our cast iron pan we had. I think we may need to find another now that we will have more chances once again to cook over campfires.  You can really cook many wonderful meals over a fire that taste better than anything else you can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment