Sunday, January 22, 2012

GOOD BYE OLE’ FRIEND

Good bye my ole friend.                                                                                 
We’ve been together since the very beginning.                                              
Through thick and Thin.      
                                                                  
Once Upon A Time in the very beginning when I was completely computer illiterate and had no knowledge of the internet, it was determined that I needed an email address.  I said: “Say what?”.   I still remember that day like it was yesterday….

It was a cold chilly day and we were newbies to full-time RVing.  We were sitting in a park that recently was devastated by an horrible ice storm.  But as days got warmer and time soon was getting closer for us to move on, we notice that we sort of was sitting ducks…

Upon getting our mail on the road, we received our license plates for the truck, but never did for our 5th wheel, and the temp plates had expired.  No cell phone, no computer and not knowing how to contact the state of IL while we were in Arkadelphia, AR we turned to some new friends that own the mini mart just down the road from us.

He jumps right on his computer,got the info and we contacted IL about our situation.  She proceeds to tell me that we need to email her the info and fax her all the papers we had.  Again being totally dumb founded, our friend, Jim, helped us out greatly.

then he tells me that I should get an email account and use it for when we needed it in the future.  He also proceeds to tell me that he almost guarantees that I will need it again.
So after a few days of thinking about it, I thought why not, what a better way to communicate with our daughters while on the road.  But not owning a computer, I went back to Jim and he had his hired help a young gal, get me started.

When it asked for a username, I sure didn’t know what to put.  Then we came up with the kidz, because that is what everyone seemed to call us.  Hotmail says I couldn’t just use the kidz, since it was already taken.  Then we came up with 39, that was how old I was when we officially hit the road…so my new email address became thekdiz39@hotmail.com.

I soon learned to use local libraries for the internet and I surprised our daughters by starting to email them back and forth.  It wasn’t until fall time when we finally purchased our own computer and once again learned the art of computing.

I have had that email address since the beginning, and now some crazy hacker decided to steal it away from me!  Now I have to say good by to the ole friend and find a new one!  I have gotten mad at it, threaten to leave it, changed colors, added info, added new friends, got mad at it, again, threaten to change it, and now I’m forced to make those changes.

It’s partially my fault, I guess, I started to get lazy, but no more laziness for me, it’s time to make some changes.  I guess I need to practice what I preach for my own security.

One of the things is I need to change my username on some of my other things.  That’s going to be hard for me since I have kept the “thekidz” as my logo for all these years.  Oh, I will still keep it for most things, but will change it on others.  Another is I need to frequently change my password more than I do.  Again I got a bit on the lazy side and started to use the same password for other things-except my personal business-those are protected with separate passwords.

Unfortunately I have lost some emails of friends that we have met along the way, and no other way of contacting them, so I guess it was time to say good-bye to them as well.  We didn’t stay in touch too often.  But one thing I will change: I have now copy and pasted all my email address onto Words that way I have them if ever lost again.

All I can say is that I hope this doesn’t happen to you, and a lesson well learned.  Should I thank the hacker or be mad?????

No comments:

Post a Comment