Friday, October 28, 2011

BUBBLE WRAPPING

When I was younger and would receive something that was wrapped in bubble wrapping, I would have fun popping all those bubbles!  As I grew up, the kid in me didn’t change any and again I would have fun popping those bubbles!  Brian would make the comment that maybe some day I would grow up!

Well, after starting work for Amazon.com, I think I finally grew up!!!  This past  week has been a challenge on my hands.  I have been taken off receiving and mainly been in prepping.  All glass items must be put in bubble wrap to prevent breakage.

The bubble wrap is a special wrap.  It starts out on this huge roll, we pull out as much as we need, wrapping the precious glassware several times; cutting the wrap.  Then on the ends we pop,pop and pop all the bubbles.  By doing this it creates a very tight seal around the product.  This way if someone should accidentally drop the item-it should not break. 

so how much is determine that we should use?  Enough that it should never break while in this bubble wrap.  I do feel for the consumer who purchased the item, because getting this wrap off is not the easiest thing to do!

Cutting and popping after a while takes a toll on your hands.  We have exercise that we do at our morning stand up and after lunch again.  This does help, but I continue to use those exercise in between and even at hope.  My hands this week have received a few cuts and nicks, but nothing serious.  I keep a small supply of band aides always with me and I also bought liquid skin to help the owees from re-breaking open the next day and this seems to be helping so far.

Now bagging is a much simpler process, but still requires a lot of usage with your hands.  All apparel must be place in bags; including hats, gloves, sock,  and ect.  So if we get a large quantity of socks or gloves, they have to each be place in individual bags and sealed.  There are also several other items that also maybe place in bags and of course we have different size bags to use.

In order to keep the pace going fairly fast, one must not slow down for any length of time, remember we are on a schedule to get the product to the customer in the manner that they wish to receive it.  And we haven’t yet gotten to peak season….

One thing is a given: the next time I receive something in the mail that is bubble wrapped-I won’t be popping those bubbles anymore!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment