Saturday, October 15, 2011

WEEK TWO AT AMAZON.COM

I have now worked two weeks at amazon.com, call me crazy, but I actually like the job and the challenge it provides.  Yes, I do come home in the evenings tire and this past week, a little bit more sorer; but I’m also pushing myself to work harder.

I felt that my last two days of work wasn’t as productive as I would have liked.  It seems all that could go wrong did go wrong.  On Tuesday, right off the bat, I manage to cut my finger on God only knows what, but was bleeding all over the place.  It turned out to be a minor cut on my finger, but I’m a bleeder and just decided to keep on bleeding. 

Then we had trouble with the folks from night shift.  When boxes comes off the semi, they are opened and a skew is placed on the box.  Well the night shift we think got lazy and assigned the same screw for all the boxes and when they came down the line to us-well all kept getting the same message that nothing matched, causing us to turn on our Red Lights and Yelling “Red Light”.  On top of that we were short hand with problem solvers, so what folks we had doing that job was running around with their heads chopped off.  Within two hours of our shift-I think we all were ready to go home and start drinking!!

As the day went on-all did get better, but productivity was down for us.   the next day we again had the same problem, but this time it was our day people.  They were not putting on skews and once again, boxes had to be sent back…which again caused us to have numbers down.
Two of us got bumped off of receiving and placed on prep.  I really don’t mind prepping, but we got stuck placing hangers on coats.  That was a job I didn’t care for.  There were 3 of us, one put the hangers on the coat and two of us had to re-tape the plastics to keep the coats clean.  We got 4 pallets done before we ran completely out of hangers.

I had signed up for Overtime on Thursday.  Come Wednesday afternoon we were told unless we had the experience in prepping we wouldn’t be needed.  I went up to the supervisor and since I hadn’t had enough experience in receiving after prep, he would prefer I waited another week.  So maybe this next week I will finally have enough experience that I can finally do the voluntary overtime.
Each day we learn new things, and like the government, it appears that every week things will change at Amazon.com on how it should be process through.  I go with the flow and I do as my superiors above me tell me to do.

We have seen a few that given up and has pulled out.  No where does it state that the job would be easy, in fact is states the opposite-so you really need to come in here with an open mind and know that when you go home at night it’s a given you will be tired and a bit sore-but in the end it’s worth it-or at least to me it is.

DSC05475

I’m more determine to make week 3 much better and a productive week!

1 comment:

  1. HI. I found you through Life with Kurumi's website. My wife and I are fulltime RV dreamers, and thank you for writing the posts about your experience with Amazon. I'm curious to know how the last few weeks went. It was 6 weeks of work, right? Also can you give me any details on how much payment was for your time there?

    Also have you done any other workcamping? I'd be interested in hearing how those experiences were. I just found your blog so if you already wrote blogs about them, just let me know.

    Thanks,

    Lane AKA TheFunnyrats

    ReplyDelete