Sunday, October 9, 2011

WEEK ONE-RECIEVING

I’m up bright and early to report to work by 6:00am. First thing we do is swipe our badge to clock-in, then it’s stretches and announcements. all newbies are assigned to a trainer. They need 4 people to go into receiving-not knowing what I was getting myself into-I raised my hand….

But before we can actually go out on the line we have to go through “school” or training on what we will be doing.  We have to learn what certain abbreviations mean. (And I’m still learning). After lunch then we were thrown to the wolves-well not literally. We had plenty of supervision and someone always there to answer our questions. 

We sign onto a computer with our username and password then we have to scan our badge.  Now we are ready to start receiving.  Boxes have been open and given what looks like a skew.  The boxes come down a conveyer belt and we have to put the boxes on our workstation.  Now comes the fun part-opening the boxes to see what’s in them!  Each items in the box also have skew.  We have to scan the skew, place it on the cart.  the computer keeps track of what and how many is in the cart.  And yes, we even have to scan the cart!  we have two different scanners that we can use, one is where we just swipe the item under it and it picks up the bar code (called the grocery scanner) or we have the hand held.  They prefer us to use the hands free scanner, but there are times you have no choice and you need to use the hand held scanner.  Even though we may have a dozen or better of the exact same thing, we still have to scan each item separately.

Thus far I have scanned loads of Halloween costume, power drinks, office supplies up the wazoo, tools, just to name a few things.  We have to separate apparels and they have to be on a completely different cart.  I hate doing apparels, because they come in large boxes and we have keep sizes, skew, colors all separate and that can become a nightmare not to mention slow you down.

If we have any questions on an item or something just won’t scan we have to turn on our Red Light and Yell “Red Light”.  This happens more times than we all would like.  someone comes around (they are literally called “Problem Solver”).  They make the decision if something should be prepped, or if it’s too small and needs to be place somewhere else or they decide if the product is considered damage when we get it.

On my 4th day ( and my Friday) we all started out with problems all morning long.  Apparently the night shift either got lazy or didn’t know what they were doing, but put the same skew on all the boxes and when we received it-our scanner didn’t like it and the boxes all had to be sent back!  We all kept yelling “Red Light”.  too boot we were short handed on ‘Problem solver” so the poor guy was running all over the place!  Then I got picked on-my red light burnt out on me!!!
Now that I have the scanning business down pat and I actually got my percentage up there, they move me to the prep line!  So now I’m learning yet another part of the job.

In prepping, you prep each individual item to according to it’s needs.  If it’s glass-it gets bubble wrapped, if it’s small individual item it gets put in bags.  The full-time year round workers prepare everything, so it’s easy to figure out what the item needs to be done.  We also learned recently that if it’s a liquid chemical, like car wax, it too has to be individually in a wrapper.

Each day we learn new things and as the days do go by it does get easier.  I do go home totally exhausted and a bit sore.  I’m a bit disappointed for I was hoping to walk more than I do, but I still love what I’m doing.  And I love opening the boxes, because you just don’t know what you will be getting.  I haven’t yet open an “naughty” things, just men's underwear!

Wonder what week 2 will bring?….Being first week, we cannot do overtime, and our area is doing volunteer overtime, so maybe by week 2 I can do that overtime.

Over the course of the summer I did a lot of reading on Amazon.com and some actually sounded frightful, but for me I’m enjoying this new adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment